Updating Your V5C
Updating your V5C
You must tell the DVLA about:
- mistakes on your V5C
- most changes you make to your vehicle
You can’t change tax class by updating your V5C. You do this by changing your vehicle tax - even if you’re changing to a tax class that’s exempt from vehicle tax, eg ‘disabled’.
Changes You Need To Update
You must update your V5C if you change any of the following:
- Cylinder capacity (cc)
- Fuel type
- Chassis or bodyshell (replaced or modified)
- Seating capacity
- Weight of a large vehicle, eg goods vehicle or campervan
- Changes that may need inspection
You must also update your V5C if you change any of the following:
- Wheel plan
- Body type, eg you convert a van to a campervan or ’motor caravan’ (DVLA gives a body type description based on the vehicle’s external appearance)
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
- Chassis number
- Frame number for motorbikes
The DVLA will tell you if they need to inspect the change.
You can find further information regarding making changes to your V5C here.