Updating Your V5C

Updating your V5C

You must tell the DVLA about:

  • mistakes on your V5C
  • most changes you make to your vehicle

You can’t change tax class by updating your V5C. You do this by changing your vehicle tax - even if you’re changing to a tax class that’s exempt from vehicle tax, eg ‘disabled’.


Changes You Need To Update

You must update your V5C if you change any of the following:

  • Colour
  • Engine
  • Cylinder capacity (cc)
  • Fuel type
  • Chassis or bodyshell (replaced or modified)
  • Seating capacity
  • Weight of a large vehicle, eg goods vehicle or campervan
  • Changes that may need inspection

You must also update your V5C if you change any of the following:

  • Wheel plan
  • Body type, eg you convert a van to a campervan or ’motor caravan’ (DVLA gives a body type description based on the vehicle’s external appearance)
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  • Chassis number
  • Frame number for motorbikes

The DVLA will tell you if they need to inspect the change.

You can find further information regarding making changes to your V5C here.


Phone - 020 3564 4444

Email - UKCRC1@ford.com

All - Our Contacts

Ford Motor Company

Twitter - @forduk

Facebook - @forduk


Find closest dealer