How to Open and Close Your Bonnet Correctly
You’ll need to open your bonnet to check things like washer fluid and oil. Here’s how to do it properly:
- First, make sure your handbrake’s on and the ignition’s turned off.
- Let your engine cool for about 10 minutes.
- Reach under the dash and pull the lever.
- The bonnet will pop open.
- Lift the bonnet slightly and feel the release catch, then slide it to the left.
- Lift the bonnet fully, then prop it up safely.
- TOP TIP: Don’t open your bonnet in a high wind.
- Time to put the bonnet down?
- Hold it up with one hand, release the strut with the other.
- Let the bonnet down, then about 30 cm from the body, drop it to lock it.
- TOP TIP: Don’t push the bonnet down to lock it: you might dent your lovely car.