Maintaining your brakes
Brakes are one of the most important parts of your vehicle. When your brakes are healthy, they help your Ford stop quickly and reliably. They also help you maintain control while you’re driving. And because worn brake components can cause drag, new brakes can also help improve your efficiency.
When to Inspect your Brake Components
Brake systems include items like pads and rotors that gradually wear as you drive, as well as non-wear items like brake hoses.
Ford Motor Company recommends that you follow your maintenance schedule and have your brakes inspected every 10,000 miles, depending on your vehicle model.
Immediately have your brakes inspected if:
- Your brake pedal feels squishy or goes to the floor
- The brake system warning light turns on
- You feel a steering wheel vibration while driving, with or without the brakes applied
- You hear a squealing or grinding sound, with or without the brakes applied
- You smell a burning odour
- You see metallic flakes peeling off the brakes
- You see deep gouges or scratches on your brake rotors
You may want to have your brakes inspected sooner than scheduled if your vehicle falls under the following special operating conditions:
- You tow a trailer or use a camper or vehicle-top carrier
- You drive in heavy stop-and-go traffic
- You drive in hilly or mountainous areas
- You drive off-road
Genuine Motorcraft Brake Components
Motorcraft® brake and friction parts are the only ones designed, engineered and recommended specifically for Ford vehicles by Ford Motor Company. They're built with the understanding that can only come from being the Original Equipment (O.E.) manufacturer.
Motorcraft brake parts offer the following benefits:
- Optimised for safety, durability, and performance
- Built to minimise noise and vibration
- Meet or exceed Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS)
- Includes installation hardware, when needed
- Are application-specific—not “one size fits all”
*See your dealer for complete warranty details.
The Motorcraft® comprehensive line of brake parts includes:
- Pads and Shoes
- Super Duty Brake Pads
- Rotors and Drums
- Remanufactured Callipers:
- Unloaded (without pads)
- Loaded (with pads)
- Wheel Cylinders
- Brake Hardware Kits
- Wheel Seals
Motorcraft parts can be purchased from any Ford Dealership