- The new Ford Transit Custom delivers exceptional load-carrying ability, with more space, more convenience and more innovative new features
- Beats direct rivals with greatest loadspace (6.0m3 SAE on short wheelbase model), largest side door opening, best width between wheel arches, and space to carry three loaded Euro pallets
- Loadspace innovations include load-through hatch in bulkhead to carry longer loads, deployable roof rack system, and easy-clean floor liner
- Unique loadspace features developed through special innovation process which captured vehicle needs from 1-tonne van customers
The new Ford Transit Custom introduces a new level of load carrying ability to the one-tonne van segment with more space, more convenience and a range of innovative new loadspace features.
Beneath its stylish exterior, the new model remains completely true to its Transit heritage by offering excellent load volume, together with a carefully optimised load space that delivers outstanding everyday versatility and practicality.
The Transit Custom’s unique new loadspace features were developed by Ford engineers following a special innovation project which captured feedback from customers about those needs that are not currently met by one-tonne vehicles.
“This may be a more stylish Transit, but it’s a more functional Transit, too,” said Barry Gale, Commercial Vehicles chief engineer, Ford of Europe. “The additional features we have built into the loadspace make everyday functions more convenient – so it’s easier for customers to do their job.”
Outstanding load volume
During the development process, Ford designers and engineers gave maximum priority to combining the largest possible load box within the Transit Custom’s dynamic and streamlined appearance. Particular attention was given to the detailed design of the bulkhead and bodysides to optimise the size and practicality of the load space.
This rigorous approach has ensured that the Transit Custom offers excellent load volume:
- Short wheelbase (SWB) model – 6.0m3 SAE (full bulkhead fitted)
- Long wheelbase (LWB) model – 6.8m3 SAE (full bulkhead fitted)
The SWB model is also the only vehicle in its class capable of transporting three Euro pallets with a one-metre high load, which is also not possible in the current SWB Transit.
The outstanding load carrying capabilities of the van are also reflected in a number of other areas:
- Impressive width between wheel arches of 1390mm allows wide loads to be easily loaded and stored
- Exceptional opening height and width of sliding side load doors (1320 x 1030mm) for ease of loading and unloading
- Capable of storing large standard 8ft x 4ft (2440mm x 1220mm) boards either vertically at the edge of the bulkhead or flat on the floor
The design of the load box was carefully optimised using detailed CAD models of the load area, and of the items – such as ladders or storage boxes – typically transported by tradesman and professionals, to ensure practicality and convenience in everyday use.
Innovative loadspace features – developed with customer input
The load-carrying capability of the new vehicle has been further enhanced by a number of innovative features which appear for the first time on the Transit Custom.
The new features were developed by Ford engineers as part of a special innovation project which allowed one-tonne van customers to provide feedback on additional capabilities which they would value in the new product.
Having spent time with customers in their vehicles and listened to their input, the Ford innovation team developed product ideas to address the greatest customer needs. Following further customer reviews, the most successful ideas were developed for final production.
The key loadspace innovations in the Transit Custom include:
- Load-through hatch in bulkhead enables loads up to three metres in length, such as pipes or ladders, to be safely carried inside a SWB Transit. A hinged opening (596mm x 205mm) at the foot of the bulkhead allows long items to be placed along the floor of the van, and to extend into a secure loadspace underneath the dual passenger seat in the front cabin. LWB models can accommodate loads up to 3.4m long
- Deployable integrated roof rack system seamlessly integrated into the roof. The system features three transverse roof bars which are located in recesses in the roof panel, and which can be deployed when required. When not in use, such as when the owner is using vehicle at the weekend, the cross bars can be quickly folded down, reducing drag and fuel consumption, creating a smarter appearance, as well as keeping the vehicle height under two metres for access through car park height restrictions (with the exception of the 330 series). The roof rack is capable of carrying loads up to 130kg
- Locking check arms allow the rear cargo doors to be easily locked in place at 90 degrees open, to ensure that the doors cannot be blown around by gusts of wind or passing vehicles while the driver is loading or unloading items
- Repositioned tie-down hooks and fixing points located on the body sides. By moving the multiple DIN and ISO compliant tie-downs onto the side wall, the floor is left clear of intrusions or recesses that can reduce usable load area or make complete cleaning of the floor nearly impossible
- Easy-clean load floor liner offers enhanced durability and simple cleaning. Similar to the load-bed liner in a pickup truck, the sealed load liner is constructed of immensely strong material, and is tailored to the shape of the load floor, extending up to a height of 80mm around the sides of the load area. Not only is the liner easy to mop or sponge clean, it also protects the steel floor from the possibility of damage during loading and unloading, enhancing residual value
- Ultra-bright LED loadspace lighting provides customers requiring brighter lighting within the load box, such as when using the cargo area as a working space, with significantly higher light output from four high-performance LED units